Tuesday, February 1, 2011

more thoughts about math.

I always liked math, especially math in physics class, because there was one answer, and it made sense. If a car travels at a certain speed, consuming gas at a constant rate, and the gas tank has a set capacity, finding the distance the car travels before it runs out of gas is a logical process, aided by those handy formulas. I loved getting the correct answer. It was even better when I was the first to get that answer!

I liked math less when it didn’t make sense anymore. Calculus makes little sense to me. I had to memorize and try to apply what I had memorized to get through. I was much less efficient in this area. I felt I could relate to the students in my previous math classes who had struggled with grasping the concepts that had been presented.

What is math? I originally would have said the study of numbers. Now? I’m not sure how to define math now. I know it is a complex web of concepts and patterns ready to be discovered. Now I know that the “listen, copy, memorize, drill” method is not effective, just as the same practice in almost any area is not particularly helpful.

While reading through the sample problems, I was frustrated I didn’t have anyone around to bounce ideas with. And that there were no solutions, examples or even hints to help.

I really liked reading about the benefits of relational understanding. Making connections IS intrinsically rewarding! It does help memory. It makes everything better!

I’m intrigued with the “new” way of teaching math and hope to gain a better understanding of its concepts and execution in the remaining part of the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment